Here’s how to be a 10 and have a great year!
I hope that you had a fabulous Christmas and I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy new year.
And now, an important message…
I have just switched on my computer for the first time in 18 days. That’s right, all of you “hustle” “always on” “the world will end if I don’t” peeps… 18 days and no email checked!
18 days and not a visit to LinkedIn, or Twitter.
18 days and no email campaigns.
18 days and no phone calls, no outreach, now newsletters.
Nothing. Nil. Zilch. Nada.
And the world did not end.
Instead, I spent quality time with my wife, my children and my family. No notifications or buzzes. No distractions. Just love, laughter, conversation, hugs, sharing, stories, walks, opening toys etc.
I am pretty good at time “off off” but even for me, this was a step up.
And I feel great. Ready to rock and roll. Creative, inspired, focused. We all need time to think. To appreciate what we have. To get really connected with those that really matter. To feel gratitude. Our work, our focus and our productivity make quantum leaps because of it.
This year, I am going to extend “off off” to every Sunday and at least one week of every holiday. I am also going to take time out by myself to clear my head, to focus on key projects and to ensure that I always live the best life that I can.
Many would argue that the world has become better. More connected. More able to change. And that always on connection is a good thing. Maybe. But there is definitely a dark side.People expect success to be too easy. They expect it to be handed to them on a plate. They think that they can read a 1300 character post on LinkedIn and call this 'learning'.Click To Tweet
This is all patently nonsense.
I know you want uncommon success. I know that you want a successful business. I know that you want a life that is exceptional.
If I am right, and I know that I am, then you need to clear the decks, you need to create space, you need the air and the room to really get things done. Important things. And you won’t do that whilst clocking up the hours focusing on trivia or distracted by the wrong habits.
Here are 5 simple strategies that have changed my life and that can change your habits and your life too:-
- Celebrate your successes. Make a list of everything that you have done that you are proud of. Spend some time thinking about what you did that allowed you to achieve those successes. Allow yourself to celebrate your own success and feel good about yourself.
- Create your perfect 2019. Know what you want. Know where you are going (5 year vision). Know what drives you. What will your business, your relationships, your health/fitness look like? Without this map, you stop your brain doing the amazing work that you know that it was created for. Create a vision board. Keep a diary. Write a log book. Meditate on it. The first step to achieving world-class results is knowing what they are.
- Create your blueprint. Work out what you need to do to achieve this success in 2019. Know what your priorities are. Most people have lists, to-dos, zillions of actions but these are not the same as priorities. Knowing what you need to do to achieve uncommon success, knowing what you need to do to walk in rarefied air… This is worth spending time on.
- Do your #IAM10 power morning routine. Take control of your day, your year and your life in the first 15 minutes of the day. In my leadership programmes, I teach a powerful process that helps people to achieve their goals and change their legacy but here is a simple version that is devastatingly effective…Clear some mental space, breathe, visualise yourself having achieved what you want to achieve in 5 years time and then ask yourself, “How can I be a ’10’ today?” Visualise yourself taking action on your core priorities that day. Breathe. Say something powerful to yourself. Get on with your day.
- Take time out. Take time “off off”. Walk in nature. Meditate. Cycle. Jog. Swim. Walk the dog. Take time by yourself. Time switched off. Give yourself time to reset, refresh, get creative. Give yourself time to think how you truly add value to those around you.
This year is going to be a big year for me – work and life. I know it will be for you too so, watch this space for more #IAM10 strategies, insights and programmes that will help you to achieve more than ever before…
But not on Sundays or holidays as I am going to be “off off“.
I look forward to helping you to achieve more than you ever thought possible.
Be a ’10’.